Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fight the Fear

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery leading again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba, Father.”  (Romans 8:15)
Maria Yakunchikova "Fear" 1893-95Image via Wikipedia
Because of this I remind you to rekindle God’s gift that you possess through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a Spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:6-7 )
Easier said than done. I know. I am faced with fear every day. My fears are mostly irrational and not based on anything in particular except the unknown. While fear can play a big part in survival, it can also (and most of the time) be debilitating. I find myself giving up a project or action because I do not know how it will turn out or if it will succeed. I also tend to over-analyze situations and circumstances to the point of seeing things that may never happen. I have said many times that the only things I control is my attitude and my actions. Others may perceive my attempts in ways that I have not intended, but that is something I cannot control.  Even though I KNOW this, it still factors into my actions at times.
The most important fact about fears that we should always bear in mind is this: Fear is not a rational response to whatever challenges stare at us in life. And it is all in our mind, within us, and not anything external to us.
The purpose of fear is to protect us from life threatening circumstances. For example: to run away when there’s a bear chasing us, or to be careful when handling live electric wires. Fear can cause us to make an irrational response to challenges we face. Fear imposes limits on our minds, removing our clarity and leaving only negative thought patterns. Fear causes us to act emotionally because we panic, our mind shuts down and we respond instinctively to protect ourselves and our egos.
Fear hinders us in situations where there is no direct threat to life, but we might perceive a threat to our life as we know it. Fear of failure is one of the most crippling emotions that can limit your potential in life. Fear of social censure makes one feel lonely. Fear of heights takes away the joy of reaching mountain peaks and touching the clouds.
Here are a few verses that I find helpful and that I NEED to keep in mind when fear attacks me. I hope that you will find it useful sometimes as well.
Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.
(NKJV)
Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?
(NKJV)
Psalm 56:3-4
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?
(NIV)
Matthew 10:26
Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
(NKJV)
Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
(NKJV)
1 Corinthians 16:13
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
(NIV)
1 Peter 3:13-14
Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."
(NIV)
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
(NIV)
Please pray for me as I am going through one of those fearful stages now … Thank you all

May God Bless You and Yours
Gene


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment