Friday, October 22, 2010

My Little MagLite



Wind Point Lighthouse, Wind Point, Wisconsin. ...Image via Wikipedia

John 8:12 (NET)  Then Jesus spoke out again,“I am the light of the world.21 The one who follows me will never22 walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Mini Maglite flashlight and belt holster, phot...Image via Wikipedia
I carry a mini-Maglite on my belt. It is not a big tool (only about 4 inches long and weights practically nothing). It is inconspicuous and is normally not even noticed.  This has become a habit that I acquired as a Sailor and carried throughout my experiences as a hardware technician. I hardly notice it is there when it is daylight or there is enough light to see whatever it is I am doing.. If I have to look in a dark place, I KNOW where it is, and I can activate a beam of light that will allow me to do the required job and/or find my way to a greater source of light.  Another great thing about this little light I carry is that I can also use it to provide illumination for someone else at the same time it shines for me. Sometime even I do not make a conscious effort to guide the way, someone “lost” in the darkness can use that little light as a beacon to find their way back to their intended path or maybe to see an obstacle that they can easily avoid.  Often we do not even realize that it the light that enables us to dodge hazards or allows us to find what we are seeking, but just imagine that if the light was not there …. 

Here is a simple exercise that may illustrate how light allows us to perform even the easiest, most routine things.:

Close your eyes (or blindfold yourself)for several minutes and try to go about your daily activities. You do not have to attempt anything extraordinary. Even doing things that you would normally do with little or no effort, you will soon become disoriented and confused. Things will not make sense and you may even find yourself in a predicament that could cause harm. Imagine a blind person going through an unknown place. They move slow and often bump into obstacles in the way.

Light also is not prejudice. It does not just shine on the good things. It also illuminates bad things that allows us to see and choose which path we want to travel. But it DOES illuminate those choices. Light reflects off of all things, regardless of its purpose. We have been given the wisdom and knowledge to intelligently make those choices and reap the consequences (rewards or penalties) .

In a dark world, not everyone has their own light. Sometimes the only light available is someone else’s little “mini-MagLite”.  By using YOUR light, you may unknowingly be lighting the path for someone else to find their way.  Too many times, we act as though we are the only ones experiencing trails and troubles that we often forget that others may be looking at us for an example in their lives as well. When I was at sea, I learned that even the dimmest light can been spotted several miles away on a dark night. That is why smoking on the deck of a ship after dark is not allowed. The enemy can spot even the fire from a cigarette on the horizon. While  this may be hazardous during wartime, this principle may be quite useful if searching for survivors on the open seas. The dimmest light may allow the rescue of lost sailors that would otherwise become memories.

A lit flashlightImage via Wikipedia


Regardless of if my Light is used or nit, if I do not recharge the batteries in my little Mag-lite, it becomes dim and useless.  I have to periodically put the batteries on the charger and it becomes bright once again.

Holy Spirit School of TagbilaranImage via Wikipedia


John 14:16-17 (NET)   Then I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever –  the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you.

As a BELIEVER, we carry the Holy Spirit in our hearts. He waits within us and quietly stands “at the ready” to illuminate our paths and guide us to the Source of Light. We are also able to use HIS light to illuminate the way for others the same way my little “Mag-lite” does. I must also “recharge” my batteries, by studying and meditating on our SOURCE of power – GOD’S HOLY WORD. We must also be aware that our light also shines on those that are otherwise stuck in the darkness. We MUST be positive examples of GOD’S Love in everything we do, regardless of if it religious or not. Every aspect of our activities (and non-activities) reflect the source of our light. The only question is if we are pointing at the right or wrong path ??

I am VERY interested in your point of view and LOVE reading and reposting the comments you send my way…

Have a wonderful and Blessed weekend

May God Bless You and Yours
Gene

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment