Thursday, August 26, 2010

Helping???

A reel lawn mower, adapted from an illustratio...Image via Wikipedia

Rusty Stevens, a Navigators director in Virginia Beach, Virginia, told this story:

As I feverishly pushed the lawnmower around our yard, I wondered if I would finish before dinner. Mikey, our 6-year old, walked up and , without asking, stepped in front of me and placed his hands on the mower handle. Knowing that he wanted to help me, I quit pushing.
The mower quickly slowed to a stop. Chuckling inwardly at his struggles, I resisted the urge to say “Get out of here, kid. You’re in my way,” and said instead, “Here, Son, I’ll help you.” As I resumed pushing, I bowed my back and leaned forward, and walked spread legged to avoid colliding with Mikey. The grass cutting continued, but more slowly, and less efficiently than before, because Mikey was “helping” me.

Suddenly, tears came to my eyes as it hit me: This is the way my heavenly Father allows me to help him build his kingdom! I pictured my heavenly Father as work seeking, saving, and transforming the lost, and there I was, with my weak hands “helping.” My Father could do the work by himself, but he doesn’t. He chooses to stoop gracefully to allow me to co-labor with Him. Why? For my sake, because he wants me to have the privilege of ministering with Him.


I can totally relate to this story. I feel so ignorant, sometimes and maybe like I am just spewing childish thoughts and ideas. I am sure that, in HIS eyes, I am. But, in my heart, I want to provide a little wisdom and I hope to give a little help to someone in my weaknesses. I think it IS a privilege to be able to “help” in the labor. Even though it may be slowing down the process, like Mikey.

Ears of barley in summer, ready to harvest them.Image via Wikipedia
Luke 10:2 He said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.



May God Bless You and Yours
Gene

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment