Wednesday, June 9, 2010

On the Move

The annual “Great Quebec Migration” is underway.  It is an annual event that many Montrealers undergo when they play musical apartments every summer. July is the unofficial moving day for this event. Those of you that know me, know that although I have played this game too many times in my life, I still HATE it. The process of uprooting all our material possessions, stuffing them into boxes and transporting them to a new location only to be enjoyed for another year and then the process repeated. This is (in my humble opinion) a certain sign of insanity.  I so long for the time when we can find a nice place and settle there for the remainder of our days. So many of my friends have accomplished this goal and I envy (in a good way) them. But this seems to be my destiny to be a nomadic drifter, so I must learn to accept that fate and make the best of things.

I know that we cannot know what the future holds (nor do I think that I want that), but I am sometimes so discouraged that things have stalled and that I feel that I am stuck in no-man’s land. I am an “invisible” man. I have learned to appreciate the basic pleasures of life: Faith, Family and friends over material possessions and social statuses. I may be still a naive guy, but as I age, I becoming more aware that this temporary existence should not be the focus of our concerns. Our legacy and eternal destination needs to be the things we should pursue. I heard a quote from “Forrest Gump” that we should rent everything because once we are “gone”, we will not take it with us. There is a lot of truth in that thought, I think. Maybe that is just a rationalization for my seemingly inability to establish a “permanent” mark in my life, but at least it makes sense to me.

I am eternally grateful for my WONDERFUL Wife and family and regardless of my circumstances, my heart is filled with love and appreciation for all the blessings that has come my way.

Philippians 4:10-14 I have great joy in the Lord because now at last you have again expressed your concern for me. (Now I know you were concerned before but had no opportunity to do anything.) I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in any circumstance. I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. I am able to do all things through the one who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you did well to share with me in my trouble.
Thank you all

May God Bless You and Yours
Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment